It’s not easy to collect Social Security disability benefits. The Social Security Administration (SSA) frequently denies initial claims, compelling applicants to pursue the appeals procedure. However, you can take some simple steps to increase your chances of winning benefits:
1. See your doctor on a regular basis and do not miss any appointments. The key to winning disability benefits is proving that you suffer from a qualifying disability. You’ll need comprehensive medical documentation to justify your claim and prove your disability. If your medical records are incomplete, your claim is apt to be denied. Don’t miss medical appointments; you’ll create the impression that you aren’t that seriously disabled.
2. Follow the doctor’s orders. Keeping medical appointments won’t help you if you aren’t listening to the doctor. If the SSA believes that you aren’t following your doctor’s orders, it may deny your claim based on your perceived failure to act to improve your medical condition.
3. Keep a journal or diary about your disability and treatment. The application process for Social Security disability benefits is often lengthy, so you’ll need to remember some details throughout the process including how you feel on a particular day, the medication you take, and your response to treatment.
4. Appeal denials. The SSA denies most initial disability claims. Often, however, the denial is for “technical” causes like inadequate paperwork or other minor mistakes. In southern California, appeal any denials with the help of a good Los Angeles Social Security disability attorney.
5. Work with a good attorney. Don’t go through the application process alone. A good Social Security disability lawyer has been through the process many times and can put that experience to work on your behalf. In southern California, if you need to obtain Social Security disability benefits or appeal the denial of a claim, make the call today and consult with an experienced Los Angeles Social Security disability attorney.