If you’ve been injured in California and you need to apply for disability benefits, the best advice is to speak right away with an experienced California disability attorney, even before you complete the first form or application. When you apply for disability benefits, whether through workers’ compensation or Social Security, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to make mistakes. Disability applications and the laws governing disability benefits are complicated; a good disability lawyer can help guide you through the process. Here are some basic tips for getting started:
1. Apply for disability benefits promptly. You can lose benefits every day that you delay, and there’s usually a time limit.
2. Don’t take no for an answer. Initial applications are frequently denied. File an appeal promptly.
3. Know the deadlines and don’t miss them. If you miss an appeal deadlines, re-apply immediately.
4. A simple note from a doctor saying you are “disabled” is not enough to win; be sure you have the counsel of an experienced disability attorney.
5. Follow your doctor’s orders. Don’t miss appointments for medical treatments or office visits; doing so may harm your case.
6. Receiving Social Security disability benefits does not preclude you from simultaneously receiving benefits from workers’ compensation, the Veterans Administration, or private insurance programs.
7. Don’t assume that you can’t afford a good disability lawyer, because you can. Almost all disability attorneys work on a contingency basis, so you only pay the attorney if your claim is successful.
Hiring an experienced disability attorney significantly heightens the likelihood that you will receive disability benefits. A good disability lawyer will guide you through every step of the process so that you can begin receiving benefits promptly. If you are injured in California, and you need to obtain disability benefits, speak as quickly as possible to an experienced California disability attorney.